Thursday, April 10, 2008

La Creperia Cafe


For my friends and me, every Thursday is Ybor Night. A group of us go out, have dinner or dessert and good conversation somewhere down on 7th Ave. Having a place like Ybor City so close by is wonderful. The history of Tampa comes alive as one walks down the lighted street. It's our version of Bourbon Street.
Clubs, Restaurants, night-life, history, culture, celebrations, parades; it's all here just minutes from our neighborhood.

Tonight, we went to a little place called La Creperia Cafe on 1729 E. 7Th Avenue. Tampa, Fl 33605. This place is classified as a French Restaurant, but it is hard to tell from the muzak that was playing. Music usually sets the tone and feel for the atmosphere. Here, the music sounds like Turkish or something middle eastern. During one song that was playing, I was certain a snake was rising out of a basket somewhere.

Now, on to the dinner and service. We were a big group and the wait staff seemed to be pretty attentive in the beginning. As the night went on, however, I could not get the waiter's attention to order dessert or get a refill on my soda.

For my meal, I ordered #48 La French Riviera- which, according to the menu, is filled with cheese, chicken, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, cooked in white wine sauce. If you ask me, the thing is filled with a creamy cheese sauce and some chicken chunks. Thankfully, I split it with a friend. It was OK. Would I order it again? No.

For dessert, a friend and I split #19. This sweet crepe is called "Sweet Special with Ice Cream. It is served hot and filled with Warm Nutella, banana, walnuts and two small scoops of vanilla ice creme. Wow. If you like Nutella- (when warm it is like a drop of liquid chocolate heaven) then you would go for this. I would have to say, the ice cream made the dish. After a while, as nice as Nutella is, it would be too much if it was just that. But the al a mode made it a nice treat. Also, unless you plan on it being your main meal, it is best to split it with someone. This is something I wouldn't mind ordering again.


Now, would I go again? Yes. But I will try something with less cheese. I'm thinking probably just dessert would be fine with me.

Rating- 3 spoons



No comments: